Useful Websites and Resources
This page lists useful national and local web sites for school leaders and recommended books to read.
Leadership Web Sites
of School and College Leaders - professional
leaders of secondary schools and colleges. Heads, principals,
deputy heads, vice-principals, assistant heads, assistant
principals, bursars and other senior post holders are eligible
for ASCL membership
Commission Self Evaluation Tools - for school managers
and governors of primary and secondary schools.
Schools The National Society, a Church of England
and Church in Wales education service. Free access
for all teachers,
heads, governors of church schools. The Society has absorbed
the Church school reference information previously supplied
by the subscription-access site Churchschools.co.uk.
- Department for Education
Site (please note under review due to new Government)
Leadership Centre - is
a company limited by guarantee with charitable status that
has been established to promote the quality of educational
leadership in the Eastern Region
- EMLC - provides Leadership Pathways on behalf of NCSL in the East Midlands and the East. Leadership Pathways offers flexible, continuing professional development that school leaders can personalise to their needs
- Governornet -
DCSF site for information for governors
London Leadership Centre at the Institute of Education
focuses on the professional development of school leaders,
including heads, senior staff and chairs of governors.
National Association of Headteachers
- National College for School Leadership
Qualifications and Curriculum Authority
- Teacher Development Agency - Skills for Life Planner - This planner is designed to help anyone responsible for staff development in a school or local authority develop skills for life across the whole school workforce.
A to Z of Leadership
- Teachers TV - Teachers TV has over 1,500 high quality programmes and videos. These cover every subject in the national curriculum, every professional role in schools, and all the key issues in education, including behaviour, inclusion, bullying, ICT, Assessment for Learning and the Every Child Matters agenda. Of particular interest to leaders:
Headteacher and Senior Management Videos
Leadership Issues Videos
Hertfordshire Web Links
Hertfordshire Observatory - provides
a comprehensive web-based data resource of demographic
and other information, at county and local level which can be
used by school leaders.
Below is a list of books available from ASCL.
To order go to the ACSL website:
Achieving More Together: Adding Value through Partnership
Date: January 2008 Price: £25
Author: Robert Hill
This book develops several of the principles of sustainable leadership set out in Robert's first book, Leadership that lasts, but especially the wider leadership of the system being exercised by a rapidly increasing number of ASCL members.
Leading an Extended School
Date: November 2006 Price: £16
Editor: Malcolm Noble
The extended schools agenda is one of the great unknowns challenges facing schools this decade, and its true impact on schools is still up for debate.
The Personal Touch
Date: July 2006 Price: £10.50
Authors: Jill Clough, Irene Dalton and Bernard Trafford
The purpose of this book is to encourage: to persuade school leaders truly to ‘lead the learning’ by using their own experiences both of learning at school and in further or higher education, and also through professional and personal practice.
Leadership that Lasts
Date: March 2006 Price: £20
Author: Robert Hill
Being a school leader is getting tougher…
Headteachers and senior leaders are working longer hours. They are staying in post for less time and retiring earlier. Fewer senior teachers are applying for the top school posts when they become vacant.
Leading Learners and Learning Leaders
Date: January 2004 Price: £9
Edited by: Rob Bray
This is an important book. Deputies and assistant heads do not represent the majority of SHA’s consistently growing membership and, though the huge role of the former was acknowledged in If it moves some years ago, the latter have never had a book dedicated to their role, aspirations or frustrations.
School Councils, School Democracy, School Improvement
Date: July 2003 Price: £13
Author: Bernard Trafford
This 104 page book, published by the Secondary Heads Association, is written by Bernard Trafford, head of Wolverhampton Grammar School and member of SHA Council and Executive. His latest book describes how the process of creating a democratic ethos and working democratic structures within a school brings about significant school improvement, discussing the changes from the point of view of the students and their concerns, needs and worries as well as from that of teachers and school leaders.
Paul Chapman Publishing
Leadership for Mortals
Developing and Sustaining Leaders of Learning
Most educational leaders are not 'heroic' but rather ordinary people who through extraordinary commitment, effort, and determination have become extraordinary, and have made the people around them exceptional. Educational leadership is more art than science; it is more about character than technique; it is more about inspiration than charisma; it is more about leading students and teachers' learning than the management of things
This resource for prospective and practising school leaders:
- motivates and inspires
- addresses the challenges of contemporary school leadership
- presents a model for leadership development, selection and succession
- challenges existing and prospective leaders to develop and live by a set of core values based on students' learning
- describes and explains the 'learnings' required by effective leaders of learning
- describes the intellectual 'tool kit' that leaders can develop
- describes the trajectories through which leaders proceed, and the 'learnings' required at each stage of the leaders evolution
- presents a template for leadership development and succession.
Available from Amazon.co.uk
The Essentials of School Leadership (Paperback)
by Brent Davies (Editor)
Developing Leadership: Creating the Schools of Tomorrow (Professional Learning) (Paperback)
by Martin Coles (Author), Geoff Southworth (Author)
Sustaining Leadership (JosseyBass Leadership Library in Education) (Paperback)
by Andy Hargreaves (Author), Dean Fink (Author) "Change in education is easy to propose, hard to implement, and extraordinarily difficult to sustain ..."
Improving School through Teacher Leadership (Professional Learning) (Paperback)
by Alma Harris (Author), Daniel Muijs (Author)
Subject Leadership and School Improvement (Published in association with the British Educational Leadership and Management Society) (Paperback)
by Hugh Busher (Author), Alma Harris (Author)