You are in: School Admin » Pupil Welfare » Exclusions guidance

Herts County Council logoExclusions Guidance for Schools

Guidelines for Fixed Period and Permanent Exclusions

In January 2015 the DfE published new statutory guidance in relation to school exclusions.  This was subsequently withdrawn by the Department for Education (DfE) on 2nd February 2015 “to address some issues with process” adding that updated guidance would be issued in due course.  In the interim the previous version of the DfE exclusion guidance has been reinstated and may be found via the following link:

As a consequence, the previous version of the non-statutory exclusion guidance supplement from Hertfordshire County Council’s Children's Services department dated September 2014 has also been reinstated.  This augments the statutory guidance issued by the DfE.  This document, which is only available in an electronic format, may be found via the following link:

If you have any queries with regard to exclusion matters please refer to your local Integration Officer.


Funding Provision for Schools taking on Permanently (off-roll) Excluded Pupils

When a school takes on a pupil that has been excluded from a previous provision and has since gone off-roll, the receiving school is entitled to the proportion of AWPU (Age Weighted Pupil Unit) and Pupil Premium (if eligible) remaining in the financial year for that pupil. In order to enquire about this, schools can fill in the X2 form and send it back to HCC School’s Finance. Once it has been confirmed that the details are correct, the Finance team will get in contact to inform your school that the transfer of balance has been initiated.

This process will also help ensure that HCC know what provision pupils are in.